The words CHOOSE, CHOICE and CHOSE are the magic words of empowerment. When you start slipping these words into your conversations, and your thoughts, it’s like magic happens. It’s like you magically empower yourself.
Using these words gives you more choices in how you respond to different situations and people. Use these words to help you be Unshakeable. Here is a snapshot:
• Your personal powers are your ability to respond.
• Your response-ability is made up of these four personal powers.
• You are always responding in some way.
• You have the power to respond by believing, speaking, feeling, and behaving.
• You own and have choice in how you respond, which means you are also accountable for your beliefs, words, emotions, and actions.
Simon Sinek, a famous blogger, who writes in ‘The Empowered Employee’, says that empowered employees provide exceptional service and he’s experienced this first-hand.
‘Empowered employees have the power to make decisions without a supervisor. They are entitled to go off script, bend the rules, do what they see fit if they believe it is the right thing to do for the customer’.
Sally used to believe that her colleague Jenny had the power to annoy her. Sally became aware that saying, ‘She annoys me’ was disempowered language. Sally decide to try out the CHOOSE, CHOICE, CHOSE approach. ‘I’m choosing to feel annoyed at her’ (more empowered language). Sally was amazed at how such a small change in langue made such a big difference to her experience of the situation.